Sunday 28 January 2018

MAXX COLLECTIBLES ESCALATION LEAGUE GAME 2




WORLD EATERS VS ADEPTUS MECHANICUS


This is going to be one of the shortest battle reports I’ve ever written.  I’m facing off against Stephen, a newer player in the area but he must have done his homework cause he brought a hard as nails army.  He brought, Cawl, 6 big Robits with triple phosphor guns, 3 Destroyers with grav, 2x5 rangers, and an enginseer. I brought a Lord, an Exalted Champ, 5 Marines, 5 Possessed, 8 Berserkers, 2 Rhinos, a Maulerfiend, and 2x20 cultists.

We roll up kill points (oh shit) and he gets the first turn (double oh shit).  We deploy in a fairly typical fashion, me on the line, him on the back edge.  My Berserkers are in the Rhino on the left, and the Possessed and the marines are in the Rhino just to the right of the edge of the picture.



The first thing he does is use a CP to put the Robits in double shoot mode and then boosts their shootability so they hit on 3s.  Luckily for me I was able to position my Rhinos and Maulerfiend so he was limited in his firing lanes so he decided to kill ALL 40 CULTISTS.  First blood.
My first turn was about 30 seconds long and I pushed my 3 units forward and advanced it, then popping smoke on the Rhinos.



His turn was the same, using the stratagem that boosts the Kastellens and Destroyers, leaving him with 1CP left.  He is able to wreck the Rhino on the right and put 6 wounds on the Maulerfiend.
This is where things get exciting, and in typical fashion I forget to take some pics.  My turn 2 sees my Possessed and Marines make it into combat with the Rangers on the right hand side of the table, I got a good enough roll I was able to pile in and get the Destroyers, they wiped the Rangers handily and consolidated into the Kastellens.  On the left was a mixed bag, the Berserkers and characters got out, but only the Berserkers were able to make it into combat, loosing out on all the re-rolls afforded by the characters.  Even so, I did not want to charge the Kastellens, so I settled for just killing the Rangers and consolidating into the Kastellens like I did on the other side.

HOWEVER, this was mistake #1 on my part, and mistake #1 and #2 on my opponent's part.  Stephen should have moved the Rangers up on his turn so that I would not have been able to consolidate into the big shooty Robits behind them.  He also should have focused his fire on the Rhino with the Bezerkers in it.  Perhaps there was limited LOS, I can't exactly remember if there was a reason he didn't shoot that Rhino.  I should have seen that my Marines and Possessed would have easily wiped the Rangers and be able to consolidate into the rest of his army, essentially stopping him from being able to shoot.  I could have kept the Berserkers and Characters in the Rhino and moved it up getting them out next turn so everyone would have had an easier time charging.

End of turn 4
Turns 3, 4, and 5 are me killing the big Robits with them actually dying faster than my characters can catch up to them.  My Lord and Champ never actually see combat at all and do absolutely nothing all game.  Cawl manages to kill the Maulerfiend after surviving the attacks and getting some lucky dice.

This is where we get to look at mistake #2, #3, and #4 from me.  I should have gotten the Characters back into the Rhino, they would have been able to get into the fight and do SOMETHING.  Instead I completely ignore the Rhino and try to chase down the rampaging Berserkers, who are absolutely crazy amazing.  Then I completely forget about DttFE, which would have gotten me dozens of more attacks.  Lastly, POSSESSED HAVE 2 WOUNDS, NOT ONE.  FML.

Turn 6 Cawl manages to get out from having been pinned in place by the immovable Kastellens and the Destroyers who were stuck in combat.  He moves out behind the Destroyers and my Berserkers cant quite make it around to get to Cawl so I charge into them and wipe them out leaving Cawl the sole survivor and the game comes to an end.


After all the dice have been rolled and the score tallied up, its a tie.  I killed everything except Cawl and got linebreaker and Stephen killed the Marines, a Rhino, the Maulerfiend, both cultist units and got first blood.

Stephen was a great opponent, and with a little more experience and practise, he will be a pretty darn good player.  Apparently I might become a pretty good player too with a little more practise.

The League is over 40 players now and every month there has been a mega battle take place to earn some more league points.  Next 2 months are at 1500 points and I am thinking of adding in some Daemon allies for some summoning fun in the next round.

Until next time, keep them dice rollin.

No comments:

Post a Comment